Mobile device threats are increasing and will result in data loss, security breaches and regulatory compliance violations. You can take a number of steps to reduce the risks they pose and address related productivity issues, legal, privacy, and security requirements. A robust program and policy creation, communication, risk assessment, technology implementation, and continuous monitoring and evaluation supported mobility and security awareness programs in place, your organization can keep users happy and your network secure.
Let’s get real!!
There are more active mobile devices then humans on the planet and with 5G Wi-Fi close at hand nothing will be hardwired in the future. Additionally, this is a very touchy subject because users do not like to have their access restricted and/or monitored.
Some common issues are:
- Many companies have no idea of how many active cellular lines they have or who is in possession of these devices
- Users are allowed to bring and use their own devices while at work
- There may be State laws about Bring your own device (BYOD) usage while on work hours and off work hours
- Users do not want Mobile Device Management (MDM) software solutions on their devices
- Users are not restricted from downloading application
In order to address these concerns and dis-spell some of the myths related to mobile devices form a task team to understand and document these concerns. Then create and/or update your Mobility Policy and communicate and educate your staff to the changes.
Educating your staff will be critical to the success and limit the negative impacts of this change.